Introductory Letter

Diego Rodriguez 

My address.

February 5, 2019 

Introductory Letter 

My name is Diego Rodriguez and I am an intended computer science major student, currently in my second year of college, and a member of the Robotics club at the City College of New York. In high school I was part of multiple clubs, including; soccer team, wilderness club, science club, English literature and grammar club, and bike club. Due to my extracurricular activity’s participation, I earned awards in leadership, and a speaker’s achievement award, for which I am incredibly grateful. My activities in high school motivated me to do the same in college and become a leader that elevates others and help them achieve their goals, even though the number of clubs I am part of has reduced. Now being a member of the Robotics club, I would like to apply what I have learned about teamwork and leadership, but also, I want to learn how the shift in social norms changes in a more professional and mature setting.  

Computer science is my intended major; however, I am also in the pursuit of a minor in philosophy. Ever since I started college, I have developed an increasing passion for philosophy, specifically in ethics. I believe that if students were to be taught ethics at an early age, my generation would be in better shape ethically speaking. Ethics has taught me the importance of cultivating my virtues as well as helping others cultivate their own. I would like to one day be content with whom I will become, and there is no better guide to accomplish this than to study ethics.  

The reason why I am applying to The S Jay Levy fellowship is that I believe it is essential for any student pursuing a major in science and minor in philosophy, to experience how professionals navigate their fields and interact with each other. I believe that what makes the team successful are its members and their professional relationships with each other. I want to learn what are the technical and social skills required to be an efficient member that can contribute to a team’s goal. I would also like to learn how the dynamics of a group influence the outcome of their performance as a unit and the relationships between colleagues at work.  

As a current member of the robotics club, I have learned how important each member of a team is. Now, I would like to experience how these skills are applied in the professional world. And I know that The S Jay Levy Fellowship Program will help me to accomplish these goals.